If a friend or family member calls you from jail, they might need some help getting bailed out. If they are bailed out of jail, they get to go home and have an easy time finding and working with a defense attorney until it is time to go before the judge. However, if you have never had to find a bail bondsman to work with, there is a chance that you are not familiar with what is needed or what you should expect from the entire experience. To help make sure that you are more aware, you will want to examine the following information.

You Will Need Proper Identification

Depending on the rules of the specific bondsman that you go to, all you might need is a current driver's license or state ID. Some bondspeople will also want a current bill that is addressed to your physical property, as a way to prove that you live where you say you live. This is so that if anyone ever tried hiding the money they owe the bondsperson should their friend or family member go on the run, they know where they can have a court summons sent to. Remember that you are responsible for the full amount of the bond if your loved one does not follow through with what they are supposed to do.

You May Still Need Cash

In most cases, you will still need some cash to go towards the bond. It is usually a set percentage of the bond amount, such as ten percent. If you do not have that cash on hand, you can try to get a cash advance from a credit card, borrow from friends or family, or get a pay advance. In some circumstances, the bondsman may be willing to reduce the amount of cash you need.

You Might Need Collateral To Offer

If the bond amount is high, the bondsman usually requests some collateral, such as a title to a boat or ATV. It could be the title to your vehicle if it is paid off. It could even be the deed to your home or to a vacation home that you have. This secures the transaction so their financial interest is protected. If the bond agreement is not fulfilled and you do not pay them back what is owed, they could repossess the thing you put up as collateral.

To learn more, contact a bail bonds agency.